Tasty, healthy and easy to make…a dinner winner! All of the ingredients are cooked in one pan minimizing clean-up (yessss!), and can be on the table in under 45 minutes. This classic Spanish dish is nutritious and satisfying as it’s loaded with protein and by secretly packing it with lots of veggies it contains many vitamins to keep us nourished. Using brown rice instead of white rice is a swap that would add more nutrients to this already healthy and balanced meal.
Spanish Chicken & Rice
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra pinches for seasoning adjustments
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 cup basmatti rice (or long grain rice of your choice)*
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup chopped dark leafy greens (such as baby spinach or kale)
- Optional garnish - chopped green onions or fresh torn basil
Season both sides of the chicken thighs with paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Sear the chicken thighs for five minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set on a plate. Add onions and diced pepper into the pan and sauté for one minute. Add in the tomatoes, rice and stock. Stir the ingredients and add the chicken back into the pan. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover. Add in a generous pinch of sea salt and cook for 20-25 minutes, add the chopped leafy greens and stir. Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and doneness of the rice – add a pinch of additional sea salt if needed. Garnish with optional chopped green onions or fresh basil and enjoy.
*If you’d like to substitute for brown rice adjust for timing and cook longer (add at least another 15 minutes).