Muesli is a nourishing dense mixture of cereals (especially rolled oats), dried fruit and nuts, typically eaten with milk at breakfast. We’ve made muesli more convenient and portable by baking it up in these soft, chewy bars that can be enjoyed at breakfast, or anytime of the day! Sweet and hearty, these bars will leave you nourished and your sweet cravings satisfied. By using flax ‘eggs’, these bars are not only vegan, but have added fibre and heart-healthy omega-3 fats making them a powerhouse breakfast or snack option.
Note: these bars can easily be made gluten-free by ensuring ‘gluten-free’ oats and other gluten-free grains are used like corn or quinoa flakes.
Vegan Muesli Breakfast Bars
Makes 12 bars.
- 1 medium banana, ripe and mashed
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 flax ‘eggs’ (2 tablespoons of flax meal, or ground seeds, mixed with 5-6 tablespoons warm water – combine in a small bowl and let this mixture rest for at least 10 minutes to thicken)
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 3 cups rolled oats (up to half of this can be other rolled/whole grains like barley, rye, corn, quinoa flakes)
- 1/3 cup pitted and chopped dates (or other dried fruit, chopped)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or other chopped nuts like cashews, pecans)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the wet ingredients (banana, almond butter, flax “eggs” and maple syrup) by hand in a medium-sized bowl until well incorporated. Then add the dry and combine well. Grease an 8″x8″ baking dish with coconut oil, or line it with parchment paper. Pour the muesli mixture into the dish and bake for 15 minutes. Let it cool fully before cutting into squares.