We call this dish the crusader because it is a powerful combination of ingredients that works hard to fill you with powerful antioxidants, raw enzymes, plant-based protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals that will leave you feeling satisfied and supercharged! Make a big batch and use it throughout the week as a meal (just add some additional protein), a side to any meal or a delicious ready-made snack!
The Kale Crusader Salad
6 cups kale, or half a bunch (rib removed, washed and torn into bite-size pieces)
2 cups cooked quinoa (or other whole grain like brown rice or amaranth)
½ cup walnut pieces
2 tablespoons diced red or green onion
Sea salt and pepper
Juice from ½ lemon
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1- 2 teaspoons real maple syrup
1-2 teaspoons grainy or Dijon mustard
In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, maple syrup and mustard. Slowly add in olive and whisk vigorously until the dressing thickens slightly.
Place the washed kale in a large bowl and pour half of the dressing. Massage the kale leaves with the dressing until all leaves are covered. Mix in the quinoa and the remaining dressing. Season generously with sea salt and pepper. Finally, add in the walnuts and onion and give it a final mix. The salad can be eaten immediately – but we recommend letting the salad ingredients mingle in the fridge for at least two hours. The longer it stays the better it gets!
Optional Swaps and Add-ons!
- Add your favourite diced sharp cheese such as a sheep’s or goat’s feta, Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano
- Toss in your favourite dried fruits like cranberries or apricots
- Add in any quality protein such as chicken, wild salmon, boiled eggs or chickpeas
- Change up the nuts and use what you already have on hand (slivered almonds or pecans work well!)
- Opt for a nut-free option and, instead, add your favorite seed (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame)