Bursting with disease-fighting nutrients such as Vitamin E and folate which help ward off heart disease and cancer, and carotenoids which help promote eye health, this guacamole is a must-have addition to your nutritional arsenal!
(makes approx 2 cups)
The flesh of 2 ripe avocados, roughly mashed
1 lime, juiced
1/3 cup English or seedless cucumber, diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
1/3 cup cooked corn kernels (optional)
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro (optional)
Generous sprinkling of each: cumin, smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl, combine the avocado and lime juice. Stir in the cucumbers, red onion, corn kernels and cilantro (optional). Season with cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
Feeling particularly spicy? Toss in freshly-minced chilies or jalapeños, or sprinkle in cayenne or, our favourite, ground chipotle, for some antioxidant-rich fire that will not only liven up your taste buds, but also boost metabolisms (hello faster weight-loss!!).
Revitalize your next meal or snack:
- Scoop into mini, whole-grain, tortilla chips and serve as hors d’oeuvres for your next cocktail party
- Top plain, grilled or pan-seared chicken
- Serve alongside your favourite oven-baked or steamed fish, such as rainbow trout or wild salmon
- Skip the mayo or butter and use guacamole in your next sandwich
- Serve as a dip with fresh-cut raw veggies or whole-grain crackers
- Give your next burger a mouth-watering upgrade by topping it with guacamole and fresh-cut tomatoes
- Give whole grains, like brown rice or quinoa, a quick ‘tex-mex’ makeover by adding a dollop of guacamole and salsa
- Upgrade your eggs by adding a side of guacamole to your breakfast
- Dollop a generous portion over your next sexySALAD