This creamy, vegan ‘caramel’ icing can turn any dessert into a show-stopping, decadent treat AND add powerful nutrients allowing us all to have our cake and eat it too! Cashews are high in iron and magnesium, while dates are a great source of fibre. This icing, which is free of dairy, gluten and added sugar, tastes great on top of brownies, muffins and cakes, but also on its own by the spoonful!
For a killer brownie recipe to top with this icing, see our Black Bean Brownies recipe.
Creamy Caramel Icing
- 1c cashews, soaked in water for a minimum of 1-2 hours (overnight is ideal and would result in a creamier texture)
- 8-10 small pitted dates, soaked in water for a minimum of 1-2 hours (overnight is ideal and would result in a creamier texture)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional – unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
Drain the cashews and dates. Blend all of the ingredients (except cocoa powder) until smooth and creamy. Leftovers can be refrigerated, in an airtight glass jar/container, for up to a week.